Thursday, January 17, 2008

MEAN GIRLS

Are girls meaner younger these days? Or is it that I just don't remember it that well? I was thinking 5-6th grade started the meanness. I guess with 6th being moved up to middle school now, it could start at 4th. I am so against the 6th and the 9th graders being bumped up. The younger girls always want to be like the older girls. Make up, dating, sex, you name it, all starts sooner. UGH. Okay, back to the mean girl thing....

I went to an IEP the other day where I had to address this issue. There is a clique of girls that just lay into my client. She is fully included mostly because she is so socially high functioning. Well that is also the down part now. She is completely aware of their taunts and their meanings. These fourth grade girls are ruthless! How do we nip it now? Once these girls are in fifth grade, they become the queens of the school and only get meaner. Then once in middle school, they use it as a survival technique. Where and when do we catch it so it can be stopped?

Well, now I am thinking in second grade. Why? Because there is a group of mean girls forming in my own daughter's class. She is being victimized by them. The sad part is, I know the one girl is a bully due to sheer insecurity. She has problems, well her parents have/had problems and are divorced. There's a custody battle and it is ugly. Do I call her parents and tell them? This girls needs an outlet,mmmm can we say therapy? It isn't taboo, just a place for her to unload and realize it isn't her fault and gain some self confidence and respect. As for the other girl, I haven't a clue. I am guessing by her comments, it is jealousy, by what is there to be jealous of in second grade? This is a middle class school in a nice area. I don't believe anyone in that school goes without. Who knows! I am at a loss. I just know Morgen gets frustrated and upset by these two.

I do know one way to alleviate the problem. Well, don't segregate the classes. During snack, lunch, and recess, only the classrooms can stick together. So if you had a friend in your first grade class and they are in a different second grade class, you can only see and play with them outside of school. HELLOOOO Why not allow assignments per a grade level instead of per a class? It has been proven those who feel socially fit will do well in school. These second graders are all turning on each other in their rooms. The thing is, each girl has a friend in another classroom, but is held hostage from playing with her. I am on a mission to change this policy. If not the principal, I will go the mile! I am now preparing for battle.....

1 comment:

La Kloie said...

rock on rein, i have been a victim to girl bulling them bitches! so right on! you can be Batman and i'll be your Robin! and since i'm not a parent i can tell them lil bratz to pipe-it! that on girl whose jealous of mo-mo could be jealous of her just because mo-moi an orginal and wears so many cute things that she thinks that mo-mo outshines her.